Monday, July 23, 2012

Birth Story

I just thought I'd give a few more details about when Kaylie was born.  Everything went very smoothly and this was the shortest and easiest delivery for me.  Rylee was the hardest and then I thought Ashlyn was pretty easy.  But this was even easier.

I had gone to the doctor on Monday, the 16th, and I wasn't dilated or anything.  So he asked if I could wait another week since nothing was happening naturally.  I said yes.  It was sad to make an appointment for after my due date, which was Friday, the 20th, but I wanted her to come whenever she wanted.  I haven't been induced, so I was a little scared of that anyway.

Then on Tuesday night about 10:00 just after I put the girls to bed, I thought I started to feel contractions.  With each pregnancy I worried about not knowing if it was really labor or not.  So I told Matt I thought I was in labor but nothing major yet.  So we kind of just laid in bed and talked and I had contractions.  (No sleep)  Finally as they got worse around 1:00 I decided we should go in.  I started packing (I know- I should have been packed!) and getting things ready.  I called my mom to see if she could stay with the girls, but my dad had just gotten off work and still awake I guess so he said he would come over. 

So we went into the hospital at 2:00 and I was dilated to a 5.  By this time I thought I was going to die with each contraction.  But fortunately by 3:00 I had my epidural and everything was great!  (Side note: as the nurse was asking me questions about my history and everything, she asked if I worked and where.  I told her school district 91 and she asked if I was a teacher at Edgemont. Her daughter is going to be in my class next year- kind of crazy!)  So then they just told us to wait a few hours.  I had my epidural, so I was really ok with that!  I just laid there with my eyes closed.  (Still no sleep)  Then the doctor got there around 7:00.  I pushed a few times and she was born at 7:14 AM.  So from start to finish, labor was just over 9 hours.  I can't complain!  As soon as she came out everyone said look at that red hair.  She doesn't have a lot, but it is definitely red.  So we have a brunette, blonde, and red-head.  We'll see if it stays that way.

We love our little Kaylie and are so blessed to have her in our family.

1 comment:

  1. My biggest fear with each of my pregnancies was that I would go into labor in the middle of the night! Was it bad? Glad you finally got to have her! Thanks for sharing the story and all the cute pics! :)

    ReplyDelete